On Progress and Detours and Keys 1651 - 1672
In 2018 I made 422 keys. Not quite the 828 number I’d hoped for but an accomplishment none the less! Really, 828 key creations on top of a full-time job and regular life/parenting/spousal duties was probably unrealistic.
Other big 5000 Key Project accomplishments in 2018 were the re-documenting and inventorying of all 1672 keys I’ve made so far and the switch from WordPress to Square Space. In January of 2018 I finally got around to using the rusty bits from an estate sale that I visited in 2015. I spent the bulk of this past year making keys from crafting techniques I loved as a child. Usually when I incorporate a technique other than assemblage into this project I focus on creating “Ten Keys Ten Ways” and end up with 100 more keys and some new knowledge about how to make things. I’ve been having so much fun revisiting my childhood craft loves that I’ve made somewhere around 380 keys and I still have another 3 or 4 methods to try.
Currently I am making an embroidered version of the Doodle Art inspired poster I created. I’ve had some challenges with the transfer of the design and have ripped out and redone some of the stitches. Some of the poor stitch work - like the 6’s that looks like 8’s I’ve left as is because really - I still have 3328 keys to go and my fingers do get numb sometimes from the needlework.
Overall it’s been a great journey to date. I’m looking forward to making more keys and trying new techniques in 2019!
Here’s the latest embroidery: